POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Invisible: I'm surprised : Re: Invisible: I'm surprised Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible: I'm surprised
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Oct 2010 10:33:29
Message: <4ca9e5b9@news.povray.org>
On 04/10/2010 03:19 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:
> At your lack of comment on wxMaxima. I would have expected some remark...
>
> I remember some time ago you posting about how horrible the pricing if
> Mathematica is ... I thought for sure you'd have some interest in a GPL
> tool that can do some of the core things + it uses LISP.

Yeah, well, I've used a couple of programs that are meant to be "like
Mathematica, but free". Every single one of them has sucked beyond
belief. A few of them can solve easy equations or do very simple
graphing, but none of them come close to the power and sophistication of
Mathematica.

Of course, when you consider that Mathematica has had tends of thousands
of man-years of R&D poured into it over the last 22 years, it's kind of
unsurprising that it's so good. (In fact, it's surprising it's not even
better, come to think of it. Why the **** doesn't it do anti-aliased
graphics yet?!)

Also: I hate Lisp.

> Hmm... maybe the girl has gone to your head? ;)

It's not my *head* that's... uh... never mind. ;-)