POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The truth about PDF : Re: The truth about PDF Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The truth about PDF
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Oct 2010 10:22:04
Message: <4ca9e30c$1@news.povray.org>
>> But still, PS is for printing.
>
> Not necessarily. It may have been designed by Apple fro printing, but
> the display system on the the NeXT Cube (Steve Jobs' foray into the
> high-end workstation market, while on a break from Apple) was
> Postscript-based, instead of being X11-based, like the other workstations.

That's true. My real point is that the design goal for PS was as a
language for controlling physical printers (which is why it has
sophisticated colour management, spot colours, screen print settings,
etc.) while PDF was aimed at documents you can read on a screen as well
as print (and hence PDF has interactive features that PS does not).

Of course, PS is a programming language. You can quite easily add any
features to it that aren't there as standard. (E.g., by default there's
no way to do transparency, but you could design a PS-based system that can.)