POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Andrew: Maxima or wxMaxima : Re: Andrew: Maxima or wxMaxima Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Andrew: Maxima or wxMaxima
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 3 Oct 2010 16:28:47
Message: <4ca8e77f$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/2/2010 10:18 AM, andrel wrote:
> On 29-9-2010 14:27, Mike Raiford wrote:
>> On 9/27/2010 7:18 AM, Mike Raiford wrote:
>>
>>> http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>>
>> Interestingly, it appears Maxima is written completely in LISP. Also, it
>> was a DOD project created by MIT ... First of its kind, it seems. Was
>> the inspiration for Maple and Mathematica.
>
> Schoonschip seems to be older 1963: in the dutch wiki
> (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoonschip) and 1967 in the english
> version (??), both before the 1968 Macsyma. Also claims to be the
> inspiration for Maple and Mathematica, but I assume they can both be.

Interesting. Although, I have to admit, All of Mathematica, Maple and
Maxima seem to use roughly the same syntax. Schoonschip appears to use a
bit different syntax. Though, it is a symbolic algebra program. It's
really hard to say whether or not it inspired the other two, but
definitely an earlier program of this class.