POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why is this happening when I change the background to white? : Re: Why is this happening when I change the background to white? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 15:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is this happening when I change the background to white?
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 1 Oct 2010 12:30:35
Message: <4ca60cab$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/30/2010 7:16 PM, Brad wrote:
> Notice that a lot of the blue stuff in the corners and edges of the box is now
> missing.
>
> The header (and so probably the relevant info) of my .pov file is below
<snip>
> The blue surface is defined by the color_isosurface flags at the bottom, and
> setting those from a rgbf to a purely rgb setting fixes the missing surface that
> I have in that picture. However, I want my iamage to be semi-transparent. Is
> there anything I can do?

The cube in your black background piece also has a few artifacts showing
up along the edges as well. I am guessing the problem is not in how you
are coloring the boxes, but how you are bounding the objects involved.

This is just a guess, but the artifacts do look like the coincident
surface problem. If the transparent box is exactly the same size or in
the same exact place as the surface you use to create the edges of the
blue interior surface, the rays can't calculate which they hit first,
and artifacts appear. More of your code would be useful to see if that
is the issue, but you can try just scaling the visible box by some small
amount to see if that corrects some or all of the problem.