POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Four points determining a hyperbolic paraboliod : Re: Four points determining a hyperbolic paraboliod Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Four points determining a hyperbolic paraboliod
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Oct 2010 11:05:58
Message: <4ca5f8d6$1@news.povray.org>
Le 01/10/2010 16:02, Graham a écrit :
> I've read and searched, can anyone help me?
>
> Given 4 unique and non-coplanar points (A, B, C, & D) in space (3D) what is the
> simplest way of defining the surface that would result from a film being
> stretched over a frame composed of four sides (AB, BC, CD, & DA), or that frame
> being immersed and removed from a suitable liquid for bubble making?
>
> I think a hyperbolic paraboloid would be about the right shape, but that hasn't
> yielded a reasonable result thus far.

Looks for minimal surface tension.

3 points defining a plane, it's only a matter of positioning the fourth
one in regard to the open triangle.

case #1: ABCD is a tetraedron. The film is likely to be two-fold, each
fold as two faces.

case #2: ABCD is flat, the film is flat too.

case #3: you can hope for a HyperbolicParaboloid

Hint: transition from #2 to #3 seems easy. But How do you evolve from #1
to #3 ?

--
A good Manager will take you
through the forest, no mater what.