POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The truth about PDF : Re: The truth about PDF Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The truth about PDF
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Oct 2010 10:43:06
Message: <4ca5f37a@news.povray.org>
>> There is a wide-spread belief that PDF is just a kind of "binary
>> version of" PostScript.
>
> Interesting thing I've read somewhere: PDF is derived from .ai (Adobe
> Illustrator). You can just rename a .pdf to .ai and it will open in
> Illustrator. This works most of the time but not always. I've also tried
> renaming .ai files to .pdf and it doesn't open in Acrobat...

Having never used or even seen Illustrator, I couldn't comment. I'd
imagine whatever the file is named, it's looking for the magic number at
the start to decide what to do with it.

There was once a rumour that if you rename a PostScript file to PDF,
Acrobat Reader would be able to open it. This isn't true, and when you
consider that PDF is just a data format while PostScript requires a
language interpreter to actually *execute* it, it's not surprising really.