POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Maximum Resolution of Renders? : Re: Maximum Resolution of Renders? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Maximum Resolution of Renders?
From: Warp
Date: 30 Sep 2010 08:31:33
Message: <4ca48325@news.povray.org>
> Nice, but I suppose you are running a 32 bit Windows XP on it? That means
> you have a maximum of 2 GB (default, or 3 GB with a XP boot option) per
> process of memory available. A 41000*41000 24 bit image already consumes 4.7
> GB of memory, which a 32 bit system cannot handle. You need to use a 64 bit
> Windows with the 64 bit version of POV-Ray.

  IIRC at least older versions of POV-Ray were designed such that, if you
were not using image preview, it would just stream the resulting image to
the output file rather than keeping it all in memory, and hence the only
limitation to image size is the maximum image size supported by the image
file format (and file system).

  Does the current version of POV-Ray require for the entire image to be
kept in memory?

--
                                                          - Warp