POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake (no spoilers) : Re: Alan Wake (no spoilers) Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake (no spoilers)
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Sep 2010 11:02:18
Message: <4ca354fa$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Pity they don't make games like that any more...

I thought bioshock had a pretty interesting backstory. It's still a shooter,
so it's not going to have a whole *bunch* of story, but the story is told in
terms of you investigating and picking up optional pieces. There's actually
some deduction to it. The best way, I think, to put a story in is to tell it
in terms of finding diaries or conversations or something like that, rather
than trying to force the player into something. But hearing some of the
descriptions, along with thinking about what's going on, actually lets you
figure out by deduction a fair number of the surprises before they're
revealed, which is a lot of fun.

Each of the Thief stories was basically a mystery. Indeed, several of the
levels were basically "break into place X and find out Y."  The games had
most excellent stories that were very fulfilling. (Well, I haven't quite
finished the third, as it's relatively poor compared to the other two, but
it's certainly a mysterious story that progresses the plot well.)

Myst and Riven and such, of course, were story driven.

There's a game called "The Longest Journey" which is essentially an
adventure game that's actually just an interactive story. There are very few
puzzles of note, hundreds of lines of optional dialog giving you backstory
of irrelevant characters, and it's so linear that it's painful. (For
example, at one point you crawl out of the sewers into the mall. There's a
fancy clothing store and a fancy restaurant you're supposed to get thru. You
think "I better get new clothes."  Character says "That clothing line is
expensive. I should save my money."  So you try to go into the restaurant,
they won't let you because you're a mess, character says "I should go next
door and buy nice clothes!"  Duh.  That said, there was some good humor in
there, worth playing thru if you don't mind the fact that it's closer to
watching a movie than an adventure game.)

HL could have had a great story just by putting around notes from the G-Man,
or passing conversations with scientists about what's going on, etc. It's
not hard to do if you take the resources to add it in.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: