POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Circular : Re: Circular Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Circular
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Sep 2010 06:14:43
Message: <4ca1c013$1@news.povray.org>
Le 28/09/2010 10:25, Invisible a écrit :
> On 28/09/2010 09:14 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>
>> You are also forgetting in the equation the offset between the axes
>> (when the center of rotation is not aligned with the translation path).
>
> If the center of rotation isn't aligned with the translation path, would
> the device even *work* any more? Certainly I've never seen that done
> (and hence it doesn't interest me).

If the "engine" is the wheel, it always works.
If the "engine" is the translation, it works also, but an inertial wheel
is recommended. (used with 8 mm offset on 450 Honda engine)

If you want a true sine movement (for a constant rotational speed), you
need a scotch yoke system.

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ComparingSimpleCrankSliderAndScotchYokeMechanisms/

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/SliderAndCrankMechanism/

--