POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wavelet : Re: Wavelet Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wavelet
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Sep 2010 19:10:53
Message: <4ca1247d@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Most transform coding methods work not by *discarding* points, but by
> *quantinising* them according to how "important" they are deemed to be.

IIRC, normal JPEG actually does indeed not only quantitize the samples but
can also set some of them strictly to zero. I.e., all you need to do is
quantitize with sufficiently coarse resolution such that every possible
value falls into the same "zero" bucket and bob's your uncle.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: