POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POV-Ray Folder Structure : Re: POV-Ray Folder Structure Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:04:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Folder Structure
From: Alain
Date: 24 Sep 2010 13:56:14
Message: <4c9ce63e@news.povray.org>

> First of all, when I double click the installer, it doesn't ask me for privilege
> elevation, ie. there is no UAC user massage, so the couldn't have access to the
> Program Files folder.
> The program files are in the C:\Users\%My Username%\AppData\Roaming\POV-Ray.
> The examples and ini files are in the C:\Users\%My Username%\Documents\POV-Ray.
> My User account has the appropriate privileges. The only problem is now, why
> POV-Ray doesn't installes in the Program Files directory, and why example files
> aren't on the D:.

Starting with Vista, you can ONLY install to program files as an
administrator.
When you do a normal install, you are NOT treated as an administrator
and don't have administrator privileges.
This means that it's IMPOSSIBLE to install into the program files
folder. In fact, it's impossible to write, change or delete any file
situated in that folder unless you have escalated your privileges to
administrator.

It's an OS limitation.

Alain