POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POV-Ray Folder Structure : Re: POV-Ray Folder Structure Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:54:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Folder Structure
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 24 Sep 2010 04:14:41
Message: <4c9c5df1$1@news.povray.org>
> First of all, when I double click the installer, it doesn't ask me for privilege
> elevation, ie. there is no UAC user massage, so the couldn't have access to the
> Program Files folder.

The installer doesn't request elevation because it is intended
to support user level installs into the user profile.

> The program files are in the C:\Users\%My Username%\AppData\Roaming\POV-Ray.
> The examples and ini files are in the C:\Users\%My Username%\Documents\POV-Ray.

This looks reasonable for the default installation type.
What kind of problems do you experience with the saving of
settings? Do you get error messages?

> My User account has the appropriate privileges. The only problem is now, why
> POV-Ray doesn't installes in the Program Files directory, and why example files
> aren't on the D:.

To install into program files you need to explicitely run
the process with elevation, and then, select the non-default
install location. Unfortunately, the installer is provided
as an msi package only, not an exe, so it will not offer a
"Run As Administrator" context menu entry on most systems.

To start it with elevation, open a command shell from
accessories with "Run As Administrator", change to the
directory containing the msi package (cd) and type

msiexec /i POV-Ray for Windows v3.7 beta 39.msi

Example and configuration will always be installed under
user documents so they can be modified without elevation.

Note: If your administrator account is different from
your user account (as opposed to just elevating the
account you usually work with), this will not work.
You will then need to do a user-level install.

If you generally wish to have user documents on D: you
need to change the user document location as per link
from my last post.