POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web page construction : Re: Web page construction Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web page construction
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Sep 2010 05:35:10
Message: <4c99cdce@news.povray.org>
>> Facepalm moment: Using CSS, you can render any element AS A TABLE! >_<
>
> Well yeah that was going to be my first response, but you wanted the
> columns offset within rows and that would have ended up just as messy as
> absolute positioning.

Well, I can make it so that a <ul> who's <li> elements contain multiple
nested <ul> elements render correctly. Not for love nor money.

I can, however, take a <table> and annotate each <tr> with a style class
indicating how far to indent it, and get a result that looks exactly
like what I want.

So I have a choice here: The information I want to present is
semantically tabular *and* hierarchical. I can mark it up as <ul> (which
lets be expose the hierarchy but hides the tabular nature in <span>
tags), or I can mark it up as <table> (which exposes the tabular
structure but hides the hierarchy in style class declarations).

I think I'm going to go with <table>, simply because it lets me actually
achieve the rendering result I want. Sure, tables are evil. OTOH, my
data actually *is* a table! So putting it in <table> isn't that much of
a hack.