POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 76% crazy : Re: 76% crazy Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 76% crazy
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2010 15:23:44
Message: <4c990640$1@news.povray.org>
>> how about being able to freely zoom in and out of a vectorization
>> without image degration?
>
>    Or being able to print at any DPI resolution you want, at any size?

I'm not arguing that vector graphics isn't useful. I'm arguing that it's
not useful *for photographs*.

Now, if you were trying to present a Dilbert strip, a vector tracing of
it would probably 1) take up a fraction of the bandwidth, and 2) look
great at any possible resolution (if it's been traced well). Vector
graphics is fantastic for stuff like that.

But for a photograph... well, see for yourself. The image quality is
nowhere near what the original photograph was, and that's *before* you
try to change size...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/