POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CSS can be fun : Re: CSS can be fun Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSS can be fun
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2010 15:21:29
Message: <4c9905b9@news.povray.org>
>> I'm particularly pleased with how I managed to insert chevrons
>> *between* the links, but not before or after them. That look some
>> figuring out.
>
> I was thinking about how you managed that one.

I was beginning to think it wouldn't be possible. I could put one in
front of *every* link, or after *every* link, but not *between* links
only. It took some tweaking to get it to work. (There is a :first-child
selector, but no :last-child selector, crucially enough...)

> Guess I'm missing latest CSS goodies, cause I've not heard of "content:"
> before...

I read about the "content:" property way, waaaaaay back in 1998 or so.
The idea is that, in combination with the ":before" and ":after"
psuedo-element selectors and the automatic counters, you're supposed to
be able to do things like automatically number section headings, like
TeX does.

Of course, reading about this, I was very excited, and immediately went
to try it out. But, as it turns out, neither Netscape nor IE took any
notice of these properties at all. I promptly forgot all about them,
since they don't work.

(In a similar vein, it's supposed to be possible to add drop shadows to
text and so on. That didn't work either.)

Fast forward 10 years, and it seems these funky features are actually
*implemented* now. (I didn't bother to check whether IE supports it -
mainly since I don't give a damn.)

I have no idea whether the drop shadows work now. I don't even remember
the property names...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/