POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 76% crazy : Re: 76% crazy Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 76% crazy
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Sep 2010 11:45:43
Message: <4c98d327$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/09/2010 04:29 PM, Warp wrote:

>    In theory any vector graphic can be converted into an SVG.

Yes. But the question is: would you want to?

This page is a perfect example of something which can probably be
represented *far* more efficiently and accurately by the original bitmap
than by a vector tracing of it.

There are scenarios for which vector graphics is a clear win.
Photographs is definitely not one of them.

>    And if you want to create an SVG yourself, try eg. Inkscape.

Yeah, I recently used this to draw some maps. It's infuriatingly fiddly
to use though.

(E.g., from time to time it will just randomly stop responding to
certain drawing properties. Every single God damned text box you insert
uses the default font rather than you one you just selected 80,000 times
previously. As far as I can tell, there's no way of making it so that
several objects remain exactly the same colour [other than copy-pasting
the hex numbers from one to the other by hand]. It's all just so much
*effort*.)

Still, probably easier than writing SVG by hand...