POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : realistic smoke with high degree of transparency : Re: realistic smoke with high degree of transparency Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:33:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: realistic smoke with high degree of transparency
From: Alain
Date: 20 Sep 2010 22:22:15
Message: <4c9816d7$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi again! i appreciate very much your help.
> the culprit in fact is a sky sphere to render a dawn sky.
> i tried to replace it with a media, but the smoke container is still visible,
> if you like i can send you my scene (or your friends) (it is quite nice) and
> maybe you could see what could be done, sorry to bother you but pov ray has
> quite a difficult learning curve :)
> my mail is rodv92 at the gmail.com provider.
>
> Rodrigo,
>
> ps: are you french ?

A sky_sphere is a background feature. Any ray that encounter it have an
undefined length.
This leads to some problem when you have any media or fog in some
container. Whenever you reatch the background directly, you have
undefined ray length. Whenever a ray encounter a transparent object, you
effectively get 3 ray segments, 2 of whitch do have a precise, finite,
length and one of undefinite length.
That's what causes the container to become visible.

A workaround:
Use a very large "world sphere". That's a unit sphere that have the
pigment you would use for the sky_sphere, that is scaled up by a large
value like 100000. Make that sphere hollow or use the "inverse" keyword
so that media and fog can exist within.

Now, you no longer have undefined ray length.
You can post your scene on povray.scene-files if it's relatively small
and self contained, or povray.binaries.scene-files for a large one
needing some include or other resources. On that last group, you can
post a zip containing your scene and all of it's parts.

native language, and, like most francophone in my area, I'm functionaly
bilingual.

Alain