POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fog type : "from the back"? : Re: fog type : "from the back"? Server Time
19 Oct 2024 09:05:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fog type : "from the back"?
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 15 Sep 2010 18:26:01
Message: <4c9147f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/15/2010 04:42 PM, CapitalSpace wrote:
> Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
>> check out:
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_3.1#Fog
>>
>> particular attention to "up" and transformations ...
>
> yes, thanks it appears i have the test pov working with this.
>
> however, my own scene has the camera with "up 39.00*y" - any caveats about
> mixing the up vectors? the scene seems ok.

hmmm ... Don't believe I've ever used anything other than the default
"up" in a camera definition. Perhaps with such a large up vector you
might be having a granularity issue ... that is a little bit of
transformation (rotation) produces too big a change (degrees). If your
setup is something vaguely like: camera in -z looking toward +z then fog
transformation in the x (rotate) might do the trick ... rotate so that
the ground fog is below the ground plane in the foreground.

> oh, and should fog play nicely with radiosity?

Should ... if you have any media in containers sometimes the containers
become slightly visible if the fog intercepts

> i originally wanted the fog to start from a certain point, so the foreground is
> always unaffected by fog : but it seems "that's not how it works".

Give the default camera "up" a try and experiment