POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wavelet : Re: Wavelet Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wavelet
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 15 Sep 2010 10:43:42
Message: <4c90db9e@news.povray.org>
On 9/14/2010 9:44 AM, Invisible wrote:

>>> I'm not at all clear on exactly how it does that.
>>
>> Using a pair of filters, low pass and high pass in a bank,
>
> Doesn't look like any kind of lowpass or highpass filter response to me.
> Looks more like it's rearranging the order of the samples or something.

What it appears to be doing is for every 2 samples:

The first of the pair gets the same positive value on its respective
sample in the first and second half. The second of the pair is then
added to the sample on the first half, and subtracted from the sample on
the second half.

Subsample and repeat the desired number of times.

> When downsampling, frequencies above the Nyquist limit get reflected to
> the other side of the Nyquist limit. Usually this means that the high
> frequencies collide with the low frequencies - but if you've already
> filtered out the low frequencies, all that happens is that the spectrum
> gets flipped upside-down. You can completely reverse this process by
> upsampling and then flipping the spectrum back the right way round
> again. QED.

OK, Makes sense.

> Weird, but true. And since quantum particles ARE ALSO WAVES, you start
> to understand why this might be true...

Right.

--
~Mike