POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web page construction : Re: Web page construction Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web page construction
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Sep 2010 04:07:29
Message: <4c8f2d41$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2010 09:15 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> You are far too optimistic.

Well that's officially a first! ;-)

> (and even IE has a glitch mode: the very same document can be rendered
> with either the standard html+css or the old html engine... all
> triggered by some fancy first line... in doubt, it revert to old engine!)

Yes, all modern browsers appear to do this. If there's no declaration
saying what version of HTML/XHTML/XML this document is, the browser goes
into "quirks mode", where it attempts to emulate the broken behaviour of
obsolete browsers, which old web pages sometimes depend on. If you put
in all the proper declarations, you get standards-compliance mode. (And
if you don't put in those declarations, the W3C validator complains
bitterly.)

The puzzling thing is that W3C designed it so you can't just write a
line that says "this is XHTML v1". You have to put in half a dozen lines
reiterating this information...

> And firefox might display an xml document when served by a server, but
> not as a file:// (and if the xlt are not on the same server, it won't
> allow it!)

So far, Firefox has displayed everything I've asked of it. The same
cannot be said for IE...