POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web page construction : Re: Web page construction Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web page construction
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Sep 2010 15:56:43
Message: <4c8e81fb$1@news.povray.org>
>> Turn off margins on *everything*? Isn't that a little OTT?
>
> yes, but does exactly what your example needed.
>
> In any case, it's very common to find that rule in most css files and
> then specify padding/margin per element in need.

Well, yes, I suppose the other possibility is to override *everything*,
so that I know that the spacing will be the same on all browsers, so I
only need to test it on one...

>> Um... JQuery is a library for writing JavaScript. How is that relevant
>> to building a static web page?
>
> You wanted a file tree to collapse or expand tree nodes and that is best
> served on the client via javascript.

Oh, right. I was planning to use JS to expand and collapse the tree, not
to actually *generate* it.

>> So... you transform the page on the client-side? Why in the name of
>> God would you do that?
>
> so you don't need to waste bandwidth?

Not really relevant here.

If you generate a static page, then if JS is unavailable for some
reason, the tree itself will at least display. You just won't be able to
collapse it. If you use JS to actually generate the tree, then with no
JS you see nothing. (And search engines can't index it either, because
they can't see client-side generated content. Not that *that* is
particularly relevant for this project either...)

> Think GMail:

I'm not building GMail. Thankfully!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/