POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : parse error: degenerate cone/cylinder : Re: parse error: degenerate cone/cylinder Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: parse error: degenerate cone/cylinder
From: Alain
Date: 11 Sep 2010 17:00:05
Message: <4c8bedd5$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi, I'm really stumped about this error
>
>      cone
>      {
>          <0,1,0>, 4,<0,1,0>, 0
>          //Texture {Polished_Chrome}
>      }
>
> the yellow line highlights the closing accolade, after //ing the texture line
> (the error first appeared on that line)
>
>      I've swapped the radii of the 2 caps (swapped the 4 and 0), to no avail.
>
>      (Using povray 3.6 for Windows)

The error message is about a "degenerate" cone or cylinder.
That means that both ends are at the same location. In that case, it
becomes impossible to know the orientation of the end surfaces.

Also, "Texture" is a user variable while "texture" is a reserved
keyword. It Texture have not been created in a #declare or #local, you
get an error for an undeclared variable.

What you must do is to make sure that the end positions are different.
If you realy want a zero length cone or cylinder, you should use the
disk object:

disk{<0,1,0>, Orientation, 4 [,Hole_Radius]texture{Polished_Chrome}}
"Orientation" is the direction of a line prependicular to the disk's
surface.

Alain