POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory handling and cloning of object : Re: Memory handling and cloning of object Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:11:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory handling and cloning of object
From: clipka
Date: 10 Sep 2010 04:33:02
Message: <4c89ed3e@news.povray.org>
Am 09.09.2010 08:57, schrieb Techdir:
>>    A "reference object" feature has been suggested, but probably won't be
>> implemented in the near future. http://bugs.povray.org/task/87
>>
>> --
>>                                                            - Warp
>
> Is that a matter of available time with the current developers, or technical
> complexity?

Pretty much both actually, and then some.

Top priority ATM is to complete v3.70 for a release proper, which has
two consequences:

- Most of the developers dedicate their available time to fixing bugs
and re-implementing stuff that had been temporarily disabled for the
transition to multi-threaded rendering.

- The developers are quite reluctant to include features with a high
risk of breaking stuff in a way that would be difficult to track down or
even notice.

A "reference object" feature is guesstimated to take considerable
effort, and also dig deep into the bowels of POV-Ray where unexpected
side effects may be plenty.

Of course, the sooner we can get v3.70 out of the door, the sooner we
might be heading for a v3.71 or v4.0 that might be aiming for new
features again - so maybe you'd like to invest a bit of time and effort
to help with v3.70 ;-).