POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory handling and cloning of object : Re: Memory handling and cloning of object Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory handling and cloning of object
From: Slime
Date: 10 Sep 2010 00:05:30
Message: <4c89ae8a$1@news.povray.org>
> Is that a matter of available time with the current developers, or
technical
 > complexity?

I tried to do this feature once, probably with the 3.5 source code. I
hit a wall. I don't remember what it was, exactly... I think it was
related to objects storing temporary intersection related data within
themselves, causing problems if a ray hit an object, and then reflected
and hit a different version of that same object. It wasn't an unsolvable
problem, but it was enough to make me give up.

This was a long time ago, though. I may have simply misunderstood the
code, or not been good enough at C at the time. I also don't know how
the code has changed since then - it's likely that changes to make it
thread safe in 3.7 would fix any issue like the one I described above.

  - Slime