POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory handling and cloning of object : Re: Memory handling and cloning of object Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:57:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory handling and cloning of object
From: clipka
Date: 8 Sep 2010 17:01:24
Message: <4c87f9a4@news.povray.org>
Am 08.09.2010 12:55, schrieb Le_Forgeron:

>> My question is: is it possible to "clone" a complex object heirarchy so that
>> multiple copies can be utilised without significant memory overheads? If so,
>> how? Trawling through the documentation didn't show up anything obvious.
>>

> Current answer: no.
> Duplication at low memory cost is done so far only for mesh

... and blobs. (And IIRC one or two other such "bulk" objects.)

However, even for those objects there is some duplicated overhead, and
only the actual "bulk" data is shared.

Another thing these have in common is a special internal bounding
mechanism. CSG objects don't have that - their children are currently
hooked up into the global bounding hierarchy instead, which requites
absolute coordinates and a one-to-one mapping of bounding boxes to
objects, and therefore doesn't allow for sharing of member data among
two CSG objects.