POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design : Re: Windows Setup design Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:08:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Setup design
From: Chris Cason
Date: 7 Sep 2010 18:12:09
Message: <4c86b8b9$1@news.povray.org>
The approach I've taken for the beta I'm rolling now is to remove reference
to 'all users' from the dialogs, and simply say 'install to
Microsoft-recommended location' or 'install anywhere' (the latter of which
defaults to program files, with a warning about possibly needing additional
privileges). Both of these are available all the time, even if the user
hasn't elevated.

For standard users, Microsoft will probably (depending on the OS) re-direct
the writes to program files into a compatibility folder within the user's
profile (even though to the user it will appear as if the files are in
program files).

This change should remove much of the confusion that appears to exist
regarding install location.

At some point I will probably provide a separate installer that is
dedicated to all-user and network installs. This seems simpler to me than
trying to cater for all circumstances in the one install script.

-- Chris