POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design : Re: Windows Setup design Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:02:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Setup design
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 7 Sep 2010 14:22:56
Message: <4c868300$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> IIRC, running an MSI as an admin on Vista was no easy feat. There was no
> "Run as Administrator" button on the context menu for MSI files, which
> would be a major inconvenience. I don't know if Win7 has improved this
> aspect

nope, just got a new windows 7 system and had to use msiexec
from a command prompt with administrator privileges.

, but the option should be available without requiring elevation
> until that item is selected. I don't know what it would take to build
> the installer that way, though.

It's a bit fiddly, any "shielded" button needs to launch a
new elevated process to perform the actual task. So basically
the installer needs to restart itself with elevation and then
terminate the original. This is the most flexible solution as
the user can decide while the installer is running. Alternatively,
an EXE installer would at least offer the context menu option.