POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design : Re: Windows Setup design Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:06:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Setup design
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 7 Sep 2010 09:02:23
Message: <4c8637df@news.povray.org>
On 7/28/2010 5:35 AM, Chris Cason wrote:

>    Run it without elevation and it defaults to the user profile dir.
>    [This makes sense as they can't install to program files.]
>
>    Run it with elevation and they are offered an option to install as one
>    user or for all users. If they choose all users, it installs to
>    \program files.
>    [This make sense since as an elevated install, they are given the option]

Actually, this *may* be an issue. The option should be available. (Of
course, the "Install for everyone" option should have the shield icon
and request elevation, if chosen.

IIRC, running an MSI as an admin on Vista was no easy feat. There was no
"Run as Administrator" button on the context menu for MSI files, which
would be a major inconvenience. I don't know if Win7 has improved this
aspect, but the option should be available without requiring elevation
until that item is selected. I don't know what it would take to build
the installer that way, though.

--
~Mike