POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Diabolo : Re: Diabolo Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diabolo
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Sep 2010 05:39:25
Message: <4c86084d@news.povray.org>
>>> Diabolo isn't too hard providing you take a bit of time - I think the basics are
>>> no harder than learning to juggle a regular 3-ball shower. It does look cool
>>> though!
>>
>> I can't juggle, and I don't suppose I ever will. It's far too hard.
>
> It's not as hard as you think, but it does require some patience, which is where
> most people fall down in my experience. Thinking back, perhaps it does require
> more time than a diabolo.

I can't catch. Literally, somebody will throw something to me from a few
feet away, and I can't catch it. I'm hopeless.

>>> You should try the devil's stick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_stick) too
>>> - quite a bit harder, but some of the tricks are much more dynamic and
>>> impressive.
>>
>> Yeah, they had one of those too. It looks very boring to watch though.
>
> Just knocking it back and forth in the pendulum doesn't look that great, but
> that's just the tickover between tricks - the throws and twirling are cool!

OK, well then I guess my two circus freaks just aren't very good at that
then.

The guy can do impressive things with a pole though. You know, the whole
whirling it around you, in front of you, behind you, round your head,
etc. It's mind-blowingly difficult to actually do that yourself...

Also interesting was when they were just casually standing around, and
the next thing I know she's standing on his shoulders. That's not
something you see every day. (!!)

I think Rock & Roll dancing is like the dance equivalent of crazy circus
tricks. When you're just standing around chatting and suddenly you start
dancing with your hands behind your back or twirling each other around
in what looks like an impossibly crazy pattern, it's quite striking and
unexpected.