POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : realistic smoke with high degree of transparency : Re: realistic smoke with high degree of transparency Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: realistic smoke with high degree of transparency
From: clipka
Date: 5 Sep 2010 15:00:35
Message: <4c83e8d3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.09.2010 20:14, schrieb rodv92:
> HEllo group, and pov ray gurus i am currently stugggling at making a realistic
> smoke, but whenever i' scale it up, smoke appears completely black and white and
> let's no light throught it, i played with scaling options of emissions but my
> objective it to provide some real transluscent smoke like in realist chimney
> that pump quite low emissions that when we've seen in the 19 century industrial
> chimenys !

Here are a few hints:

- Don't use emission; real-life smoke does not emit visible light. It
scatters and it absorbs - nothing else.

- For scattering media, always set extinction to 1.0; any other value is
bogus.

- You'll probably want a /bit/ of absorption. Do use "absorption" for
that, not the scattering's "extinction" parameter.

- Expect some media types' effects to scale not-quite-linearly. Don't
expect you can compensate for a "scale 150" simply by a corresponding
division of emission & scattering parameters; you'll probably need to
tweak a bit. If you start with a "scale 10" you may get a better feeling
how scaling affects the media, and how to compensate.

(And finally - I hope I'm not stepping on your toes here - try not to
type so fast; it may help the legibility of your postings ;-))