POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity gives only black images : Re: Radiosity gives only black images Server Time
30 Jun 2024 17:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity gives only black images
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 2 Sep 2010 09:01:15
Message: <4c7fa01b$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/02/2010 08:42 AM, Darats wrote:
>> Am 01.09.2010 16:55, schrieb Darats:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just tried the new 3.7 beta 38 for windows (which is the first beta release
>>> I've tried).
>>>
>>> My problem is that when I try to render the rad_def_test.pov, I only get a black
>>> image, and I can't figure out why.
>>
>> POV-Ray 3.7 complements the "ambient" finish parameter with another one,
>> "emission", to distinguish between some added brightness for fake
>> ambient illumination (classic "ambient" keyword), and genuine object
>> glow (new "emission" finish keyword).
>>
>> The fake ambient illumination is now automatically turned off when
>> radiosity is used, as that's exactly what radiosity is designed to
>> compute more realistically. (Think of "ambient_light" automatically
>> being forced to zero.) As a consequence, the "ambient" mechanism can no
>> longer be used to model light sources in radiosity-only scenes.
>>
>> Enter emission. This new mechanism does virtually the same as "ambient",
>> except that it is unaffected by the global "ambient_light" parameter,
>> and is active in both classic and radiosity scenes.
>>

>> There are two simple solutions to fix existing scenes:
>>
>> (A) Replace the "ambient" keyword with "emission" wherever it is used to
>> model a light source.
>>
>> (B) Alternatively, place a "#version 3.6" statement in the scene.
>> POV-Ray will then revert to a backward-compatibity mode, leaving the
>> "ambient" mechanism active in radiosity scenes.
>>

>>> I'm sure it's just some settings I haven't thought about but I don't know what.
>>
>> Nothing wrong on your side. The sample scenes just haven't been updated
>> yet to match the new mechanism.
>
> All right, I did the #version 3.6 trick and it worked perfectly.
>
> Now, the probleme is that I can't get exactely the same result as the 3.6
> version. Here my colors seem to be "washed out" (it's like everything is more
> "grey" and less shiny than on the 3.6 version). I don't know what to do.
>
> Any guess on that ?

most likely one or all or a combination of the following ....
assumed_gamma, display_gamma, file_gamma. you should probably acquaint
yourself with the changes associated with the changes in the
revision.txt file or have a look at:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_1#Changes_and_New_Features_Summary
particular attention to item number 7 under the "Look Here First" heading