POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Two things that irritate me : Re: Two things that irritate me Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:14:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two things that irritate me
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Sep 2010 16:48:20
Message: <4c7ebc14$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> On 9/1/2010 8:30 AM, Darren New wrote:
>> Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>>> Or to be precise "To whom did you give it?" :-)
>>
>> Except that's a contortion to avoid putting a preposition at the end of
>> a sentence that isn't problematic to put at the end of a sentence.
>>
> You do know that the rule in question was one proposed by one man, for
> no good reason,

Well, I think the original rule makes sense, just like it makes sense to say
"don't use more words than you need."  But it's like the people who spell it
"recieve" because they think "I before E" - if you leave off the details,
the rule becomes nonsensical.

> In short, its a stupid rule, and there is one single fool to blame for
> proposing it at all.

It's definitely not something up with which we should put!

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: