POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : benchmark i7-970 : Re: benchmark i7-970 Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:07:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: benchmark i7-970
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 28 Aug 2010 11:24:23
Message: <4c792a27$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:

> I didn't try to render benchmark.pov manually because the
> menu item takes care of using correct render options.

Actually I'm now quite confused with respect to the benchmark.pov,
benchmark.ini and the built-in benchmark. In the changelog for 3.7
I only find mention of the new -benchmark for linux, but on the page
http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php I found a warning that
benchmark.pov is currently not suitable for benchmarking 3.7. In
the bug tracker FS#117 indicates the internal scene has changed.

Most notably benchmark.ini renders a 384x384 image while the
hardcoded benchmark uses 512x512. But despite the smaller size
it renders much slower (2:20 minutes for photons alone using
all CPUs).

Another minor peculiarity is that the built-in command
tells you it will not display anything, but then proceed
to open a render window.