POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based) : Re: Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based) Server Time
25 May 2024 09:48:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based)
From: John VanSickle
Date: 28 Aug 2010 05:03:51
Message: <4c78d0f7$1@news.povray.org>
> - Your absorption is simply too weak. Try absorption <1,1,1>*30 instead.
> Depends on how dense your density map actually is, though. Note that the
> smaller the distances in your scene are, the higher your media
> parameters have to be for the same effect.

If you want realistic results, each component of absorption must be
equal to or greater than the emission component.  Making them equal
gives you a pure glowing effect, whereas adding a bit more absorption
gives you some smokiness.

In nature, everything which emits light also absorbs that same frequency
of light to the same degree.  We see only the light that is at the
outermost edges of the glowing object, but we're used to this.

Regards,
John