POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : SU2POV USERS : Re: SU2POV USERS Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:03:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SU2POV USERS
From: Alain
Date: 27 Aug 2010 21:26:33
Message: <4c7865c9$1@news.povray.org>

> Hello
>
> First, an apology. My English is not very good, but try to explain. I'm at
> Pov-Ray to render,and made the model with Sketchup. I wonder if there is any
> user working with this plug-in. I've done some work as a hobby, but I still need
> much to learn. I use version 3.6 for export files, and finally rendered with the
> latest beta version.
>
> I would appreciate if someone could tell me some website where I could  find
> information about materials, especially crystals, which is difficult to me to
> understand.I visited many websites related to this program, but all are of
> direct users, I mean, they do not export the model, and its hard to me to
> understand how  to include materiales changes I need. The type of images that
> I've done are architectural design.
>
>      thanks for your time.
>

> Greetings.

When you mention "crystals", are you thinking of tranparent materials,
or geometric shapes like those the crystals can grow into?

Anyway, for the first case, and many examples of the second, you need
mostly transparent pigments, some reflection, an index of refraction and
some colour fading.
I can give you a sample of what it can look like:

material{

pigment{rgbt 0.97} // mostly transparent

finish{diffuse 0.1 ambient 0 specular 0.7 roughness 0.001
reflection{0.1, 0.99 fresnel} conserve_energy}
// add some highlights and variable reflection
// fresnel usualy make reflection look more natural

interior{ior 1.9
// turn on refraction and can cause total internal reflection
dispersion 1.01 dispersion_samples 10
// causes chromatic dispersion to occurs
fade_color<1,1,0> fade_distance 1 fade_power 1001
// colours the interior of the object. The exact tint
// depends on the length of the trajectory inside the object
// and the fade_distance.
}

}

For this to show the best result, you need some environment and possibly
a few light_source.

Alain