POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Aug 2010 15:06:43
Message: <4c780cc3$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:38:37 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I had about 4 hours.  The screen is too glossy (makes a great mirror,
>> but if you've got an overhead light, you have to position yourself so
>> the light doesn't reflect directly off the screen).  It also attracts
>> fingerprints like a magnet and I'm sure after some time dust can become
>> an issue.  I'd be constantly wiping the screen off.
>
> Yeah. I just noted it was nice and crisp and bright. I would be
> surprised if Apple wasn't smart enough to not put overhead lights over
> the tables with the iPads on them. :-)

Very likely; indirect lighting is generally much easier on the eyes, and
in the office the lighting is only about 60% indirect.

>> That's cool, what kind of fee and was it per magazine?  The one
>> magazine I read anymore is Linux Format, and as a subscriber I can get
>> the issues/ articles as PDF for free.
>
> $5/week for everything.
>
> Interestingly, when I turned on the radio in Germany, it spontaneously
> downloded a document called "Important notice on fees for travelers" or
> some such, detailing what was and was not different.

Interesting - so "everything" is any magazine they carry that you want to
read?

>> Well, until cable attenuation breaks it, but for power that's not a
>> huge deal.  :-)
>
> I would think that few would sell commercial USB cables too long to even
> run a USB drive over. I wonder if a sufficiently long cable makes USB
> drop back from 2.0 to 1.1 speed?

Probably.

>> That may be what happened the first couple of nights - I'd go to sleep
>> and it'd be at 70% power, and wake up and the battery was drained.
>> That seemed odd to me, but last night it was fine - but I was in
>> Airplane mode.
>
> I'm up to the third or fourth day of reading pretty steadily and
> basically keeping it awake as much as possible, and I'm about 1/2 to 1/3
> battery now, with the radio on. Kindle keeps it on in case you buy
> something online that gets pushed down to your device, or if you have
> subscriptions updating.
>
> Once the experiment is over, I'll turn the radio back off. :-)
>
> Also, lots of these kinds of batteries take a few charge/discharge
> cycles to reach their full potential.

That's true, which is why I haven't done anything about it yet.  My
battery came almost fully charged, but they say they're not charged, so
we'll see how it goes.

Jim