POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FFT Filter... easy. : Re: FFT Filter... easy. Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FFT Filter... easy.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 27 Aug 2010 13:02:59
Message: <4c77efc3$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Sooooo ... I wanted to try to make an FFT filter.

You're aware that you can perform linear filtering operations without
using an FFT at all, right?

An FFT convolution is faster when the filter kernel is large, however.

> Actually quite easy:
>
> There is probably A LOT of improvement this could take, but its a neat
> start. :D

I sat here and thought about posting the 8 lines or so of Haskell it
would take to do the same task. And then I realised that Warp would
complain that it's not processing the data in-place, so it has different
performance characteristics, and then I'd have to build both your
version and my version and do detailed timing statistics, which would
require me to install the MS .NET runtime and some sort of C#
compiler... Nah. I have better things to do with my Friday afternoon. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/