POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Aug 2010 11:38:39
Message: <4c77dbff$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> I had about 4 hours.  The screen is too glossy (makes a great mirror, but
> if you've got an overhead light, you have to position yourself so the
> light doesn't reflect directly off the screen).  It also attracts
> fingerprints like a magnet and I'm sure after some time dust can become
> an issue.  I'd be constantly wiping the screen off.

Yeah. I just noted it was nice and crisp and bright. I would be surprised if
Apple wasn't smart enough to not put overhead lights over the tables with
the iPads on them. :-)

> Well, the MicroSD slot for expansion is easily accessible - the back can
> be removed to replace the battery and to install the card (which is
> necessary for the 'easy' way to jailbreak the device).  The front bezel
> comes off (that's how the first ones were jailbroken - remove the system
> SD card and replace the code on it).

Yeah, I'd forgotten the nook opens up like that, but now that you mention
it...

> That's cool, what kind of fee and was it per magazine?  The one magazine
> I read anymore is Linux Format, and as a subscriber I can get the issues/
> articles as PDF for free.

$5/week for everything.

Interestingly, when I turned on the radio in Germany, it spontaneously
downloded a document called "Important notice on fees for travelers" or some
such, detailing what was and was not different.

> Well, until cable attenuation breaks it, but for power that's not a huge
> deal.  :-)

I would think that few would sell commercial USB cables too long to even run
a USB drive over. I wonder if a sufficiently long cable makes USB drop back
from 2.0 to 1.1 speed?

> That may be what happened the first couple of nights - I'd go to sleep
> and it'd be at 70% power, and wake up and the battery was drained.  That
> seemed odd to me, but last night it was fine - but I was in Airplane mode.

I'm up to the third or fourth day of reading pretty steadily and basically
keeping it awake as much as possible, and I'm about 1/2 to 1/3 battery now,
with the radio on. Kindle keeps it on in case you buy something online that
gets pushed down to your device, or if you have subscriptions updating.

Once the experiment is over, I'll turn the radio back off. :-)

Also, lots of these kinds of batteries take a few charge/discharge cycles to
reach their full potential.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: