POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : SU2POV USERS : Re: SU2POV USERS Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:30:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SU2POV USERS
From: J R Houck
Date: 27 Aug 2010 10:20:14
Message: <4c77c99e$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/21/2010 10:06 PM, arq3design wrote:

> Hello
>
> First, an apology. My English is not very good, but try to explain. I'm at
> Pov-Ray to render,and made the model with Sketchup. I wonder if there is any
> user working with this plug-in. I've done some work as a hobby, but I still need
> much to learn. I use version 3.6 for export files, and finally rendered with the
> latest beta version.
>
> I would appreciate if someone could tell me some website where I could  find
> information about materials, especially crystals, which is difficult to me to
> understand.I visited many websites related to this program, but all are of
> direct users, I mean, they do not export the model, and its hard to me to
> understand how  to include materiales changes I need. The type of images that
> I've done are architectural design.
>
>      thanks for your time.
>

> Greetings.

I don't know if this will specifically answer your question, but perhaps
it will point you in a useful direction.

I use SU2POV on some of my projects and you'll need to "hand edit" the
.pov file that SU2POV plugin exports (saves) to get your material
changes accomplished. SU2POV does not, at the present, allow much
adjustment of textures directly from inside the plugin and many of the
finish and texture parameters can only be done by hand editing.

Here's what I do:

1. Create the objects in SketchUp.
2. Attach some basic "place holder" textures to the objects. These
textures will be saved in the .pov file in the next step.
3. Invoke the SU2POV plugin and save the file.
4. Do a simple test render to make sure that the scene is pretty much
how I want it.
5. Open the .pov file in either a text editor or the IDE (Windows only)
and hand edit the "place holder" textures to get the results you want.
You can change practically all the parameters for textures, color,
finishes, etc. by hand.
5. Set up final rendering, etc.

As for learning about materials, etc in POVray, about the only thing I
can suggest is to read the POVray documentation, most of what you'll
need to know it there. There are a number of .inc in the POVray install
directory that you can study or use to create your textures.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with your "crystal" question other than
to advise you to continue searching the 'net.

Cheers.