POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Aug 2010 23:57:45
Message: <4c7737b9@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:29:25 -0700, Neeum Zawan wrote:

> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:
>
>> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>>> My concern is about the DRM, as well. Having the file around 30 years
>>> from now is no use if I can't read it.
>>
>> That was what stopped me from getting a kindle or whatever when they
>> first came out, yes. But if I want the book again 10 years from now,
>> I'll just buy it again.
>
> If it's available.
>
> When I last moved, I was planning to get rid of a number of fiction
> books by well known authors. On a whim, I did a search, and found that
> quite a few of those were now out of print. Lots and lots of used
> copies, but it made me uneasy.

One of the books I want to read in eBook format is an anthology of sci fi
short stories that was edited by Greenberg and Asimov (and a couple
others) back in 1978.  It's not available anywhere that I've found, and
in fact the print versions are apparently considered collector's items -
and I used to have a print copy that's now lost somewhere, maybe in a box
in the basement, probably got tossed/sold when my mother moved out of her
house a couple years ago.

Print copies run about $95 now.  Ouch.

Jim