POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Aug 2010 16:29:38
Message: <4c76ceb2@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> That took me about a day of normal usage to get past - I had kept trying
> to turn pages using the eInk screen.  When something doesn't work,  you
> learn fast. ;-)

Yeah. And the delays in the UI are at least consistent, so they're easy to
get used to.

> I tried the iPad - found it too awkward to use for reading books - it's
> physically too heavy for me to use in that way.

I just played with it for 10 minutes in an Apple store, noticing how nice
the display was and all.

> The thing I'm wondering is if the 3G option is just a special MicroSD
> card, it might be possible to upgrade at some point.

I guess if you want to crack the case open or something... :-)

> bother me, if I were going overseas, the 3G option is only supported in
> the US anyways AFAIK (it's tied to AT&T)

The Kindle worked fine for me in Germany. Amazon charged a nominal fee for
using it for magazines, but no additional for books or web browsing.

> The Nook uses a micro USB adapter, but I found the extension works well.
> 5' isn't a short cable, it's just not quite long enough for charging
> while reading in bed.

Yeah. I don't know offhand how long the kindle one is, but the power adaptor
has the female host connector onit, so you could put as long a cable on it
as you wanted.

> I generally don't either - I've been working out the battery usage, and
> find that if I leave it in "Airplane mode", the battery usage is much
> more predictable.  When turned off, it's actually just sleeping, so
> there's some battery usage when it's not fully powered down, and they
> don't recommend powering it down.

Yeah. I'm leaving mine on now just to see. The wireless definitely drains
the battery faster.  The kindle has "sleep" mode and "off" mode, and it
still runs the wireless (and probably other background tasks, like the
search index builder and such) in sleep mode, but not in off mode.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: