POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Aug 2010 16:23:18
Message: <4c76cd36$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> They needed (IMHO) to make it right in a
> similar fashion rather than taking advantage of the fact that they
> *could* just "unsell" it electronically.

Which they did, yes. I mean, after the mistake, they gave the books back,
gave you money, and wrote into their contracts they wouldn't do it again.
That seems pretty upstanding compared to a lot of places.

 >  Just because you can do
> something, doesn't mean you should.  It created a lot of uncertainty
> about eBooks.

Indeed.

>> True, and he acknowledged that *and* gave people back the book as well.
>> Not sure what more you could ask for.
>
> Not doing it in the first place.  Yes, he can't undo what's been done,
> the best he can do is correct it, and the best we can do is hope that he
> has learned from it.  But it troubles me that businesses make decisions
> that really on the surface should be clearly the wrong way to approach
> things and then deal with it as a PR issue, when clearly it's not a PR
> issue, but a decision-making process issue.

It sounds like the lawyers got into it first, actually.  I wouldn't be
surprised if there was no policy in place to handle such an event, or if the
policy hadn't been reviewed by anyone other than the lawyers.

> Honestly, I think it would be in the best interests of eReader
> manufacturers not to lock consumers in.  You see this with gaming
> consoles as well - someone wants a particular game, they've got to
> purchase a particular game console if there's an exclusivity clause in
> their contracts.

Kindle is, amusingly, doing just the opposite. You can get like 30% of the
sales of your book, or you can get 70% the sales of your book if you don't
rip off Kindle users or lock them into a specific format.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: