POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Make Povray project win up to $2,500 : Re: Make Povray project win up to $2,500 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Make Povray project win up to $2,500
From: clipka
Date: 26 Aug 2010 05:29:54
Message: <4c763412$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.packtpub.com/open-source-awards-home/nominate-best-open-source-graphics-software

> Why has this been ignored totally, isn't Povray able to enter that competition?
> Or is there simply no need for it to get better known or funded?

Note that this is just nomination for now, not voting. I'd guess a
single nomination will suffice to have it enter the voting period.

BTW, don't be too disappointed in case the nomination isn't accepted; in
the rules they state:

"1. Only nominations for [...] Graphic Software [...] available on one
of the Open Source licenses, will be counted."

This sounds like they have a closed list of licenses they accept,
probably the OSI's list of reviewed "Open Source Licenses", which
currently does /not/ include the POV-Ray license (see
http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical). And even if they do take
the time to review the license, they may consider it to not match their
standards. (Compare the discussion on Wikipedia whether POV-Ray belongs
in the "free 3D graphics software" category, which led to the
introduction of a new category, "freeware 3D graphics software".)