POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Aug 2010 19:05:20
Message: <4c75a1b0$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Already does.

Unsurprising! :-)

> I found it easy to get used to fairly quickly myself.

Yep, could be. But the touch-screen where you weren't actually touching the
thing you were interested in threw me.

Or, as my brother said, "I got an iPad, because it has a touch screen."  "My
  Kindle doesn't have a touch-screen, which is why my wife's fingerprints
are all over the screen."

> Another *huge*
> advantage is that many e-books can be viewed in their entirety if you go
> to a B&N physical store - for up to an hour a day.

That's a pretty slick marketing move.

> And free wireless at
> places with AT&T wifi (if you don't have the 3G version, which I don't)
> is pretty cool.  Like Kindle, with the 3G option, you don't have to pay
> anything extra for access (the device just costs $50 more, and I have
> wifi pretty much everywhere I go these days).

It was helpful on my trip to germany. The hotel wanted like $100/week for
wifi, but I found out the Kindle will do 3G web browsing for free, so for
the couple of "arrived safely" sorts of emails I wanted to send, it worked
out with webmail just fine.  (My phone isn't GSM, ya see.)

> I do wish the USB cable was longer - I'm using an extension with mine.

I bought a second cable to leave plugged into my computer all the time,
running under the desk and all that. Happily, it's at least a standard USB
cable.

> also wish the USB port wasn't on the bottom of the device.

I haven't been bothered by that, but then I don't really read with it
plugged in.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: