POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Aug 2010 17:58:55
Message: <4c75921f$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:37:17 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> I might have bought a Nook if it had the bigger screen; the fact that
> it's android (and hence likely going to have a jailbreak at some point)

Already does.  nook-devs.com IIRC.  I'm running it with the Android
development kit for access to the system filesystem.

> and the "loan a book" thing were cool.  I thought the UI on the Nook was
> very confusing for the half hour I played with one.

I found it easy to get used to fairly quickly myself.  Another *huge*
advantage is that many e-books can be viewed in their entirety if you go
to a B&N physical store - for up to an hour a day.  And free wireless at
places with AT&T wifi (if you don't have the 3G version, which I don't)
is pretty cool.  Like Kindle, with the 3G option, you don't have to pay
anything extra for access (the device just costs $50 more, and I have
wifi pretty much everywhere I go these days).

I do wish the USB cable was longer - I'm using an extension with mine.
The 'standard' cable is about 5' long, which isn't long enough to reach
the nearest outlet to the bed if I want to read in bed while charging.  I
also wish the USB port wasn't on the bottom of the device.

Jim