POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Aug 2010 11:56:54
Message: <4c753d46$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> 1) How responsive is the UI?  There's no excuse nowadays for the GUI no
> to change instantly when you press buttons.

The buttons are clicky. Taking it out of sleep mode takes a couple of
seconds, for whatever reason, turning pages takes a quarter second betwee
button push and the page changing. Or, to put it another way, it takes
longer to redraw the screen than to respond to the click.  A particularly

nasty PDF gives you an "opening page 3 of 7" kind of please-wait screen.

> 2) How comfortable is the screen to read from?  What's the resolution
> and does it work under all lighting conditions (direct sunlight, office
,
> dark room etc).

(Come now. Some of these things are a simple google away. :-)

  9.7" diagonal E Ink® electronic paper display, 1200 x 824 pixel re
solution
at 150 ppi, 16-level gray scale, new 10:1 contrast ratio.

It's comfortable to read in all different reading environments. A dark ro
om,
obviously, needs a book light.  It's pretty much like a paperback book,
except a touch smoother so there's a bit of radiosity going on. No glare,

tho. It's pretty much the same e-ink that the nook and the sony readers
have, so take a look at those for an idea.

Oh, and I found a very nice hard zippered case, as well as a hard plastic

clamshell and screen protector, if you take it traveling or something. I'
ll
dig up the details if anyone cares.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)