POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Aug 2010 11:37:17
Message: <4c7538ad$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> Why?

For one, it's easy to travel.

> Honest question. The things preventing me from buying one are worry
> over how long I can keep any books I buy, and because I've shifted to
> libraries anyway.

That bothered me for a while also. Then I realized I have large stacks of
books that I've read once and will likely never read again. As well as other
stacks of technical books that will be obsolete long before I run out of
space on the kindle. As well as bunches of free books in electronic form
that would be quite annoying to read on a computer screen.

Any book I want to read again in 15 years I'll buy again, or buy in
paperback in the first place, assuming I didn't find it online for free
somewhere without the DRM.

I might have bought a Nook if it had the bigger screen; the fact that it's
android (and hence likely going to have a jailbreak at some point) and the
"loan a book" thing were cool.  I thought the UI on the Nook was very
confusing for the half hour I played with one.

I might have bought an iPad if I had any other Apple hardware in the house.

As it is, I bought a Kindle.

Sure, they could take books off the machine in spite of their promises not
to. (After the 1984 thing, they promised that while they'll take it out of
the library, they won't retroactively delete it from your device.) Sure lots
of the books probably have DRM on them. But there's ways around that for the
occasions where it's a problem.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: