POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Using the GPU to do network protocols : Re: Using the GPU to do network protocols Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using the GPU to do network protocols
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 25 Aug 2010 09:07:41
Message: <4c75159d$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian a écrit :
> Francois Labreque wrote:
>> Sabrina Kilian a écrit :
>>> It is an interesting way to use commodity hardware, instead of custom
>>> stuff. Though, the article does make it hard to take them seriously when
>>> they use lines like "Modern routers are rarely dumb switches anymore."
>> Most comemrcial routers HAVE been switches for the last 20 years.  The
>> first packet to come through would be routed by the cpu, but the result
>> of that routing table look up would be sent to an interface cache and
>> all the packets for the same destination after that would be switched
>> directly by the interface hardware, leaving the CPU alone.
>
> Switches have moved up to handling some of the layer 3 protocols and
> doing some of the stuff typically thought of as router work. Managing
> VLANs and the like, and switching stuff between them. If the router
> never had to handle BGP, and the like, then a smart switch could replace
> it. Depending on the switch, it might even work where all you need is
> QoS and some switching between local disparate IP subnet and VLAN.
> However, a smart switch won't replace a router where one is really
> needed; handling all the annoying route finding when you have a more
> complex topology outside the area of your network. At least, I haven't
> seen one that manages BGP. Wiki tells me they may exist.

Even if it does appear that the author of the article's experience with
routers is limited to the Linksys or Netgear home stuff, I'm not talking
about "layer-3" switches.  I'm talking about a router that does
switching in hardware based on mac-addresses.

> Still, all of this is smart switches moving up to fill the need of
> simpler routers. Any router, barring marketing names, has never just
> switched packets on layer 2 like a dumb switch will.

The Cisco 7000 or 7500 series have been doing just that, and the newer
GSR and CRS models do it as well.  As I said earlier, the first packet
to come by will be CPU-routed, but all the following ones* for that same
destination will be handled in hardware based on mac-address look-ups.
This is how a Cisco 7000 was able to handle 16M pps with only a 33Mhz
CPU, 20 years ago.