POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : imperial vs metric : Re: imperial vs metric Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: imperial vs metric
From: scott
Date: 24 Aug 2010 04:56:05
Message: <4c738925@news.povray.org>
> Imperial measurements are generally based on humans, so it's pretty
> convenient for everyday usage.

So long as you don't need to convert between units or do any calculations.
Buying carpet was one example, another is when you tell me you weigh X
pounds and I usually deal with stones, I have no clue whether that's a lot!
Or if you measure someones height with a tape measure marked in inches,
what's that in feet? Or if you are following a recipe that calls for 10 oz
of flour and you want to make 4x the quantity for a party, how much flour do
you weigh out if your scale is in pounds and ounces?  These calculations may
seem relatively simple if you're good at mental arithmetic, but people who
aren't struggle (all of the ones above I've witnessed at least once).

> Metric has the advantage that you don't get into weird problems with units
> when you do science.

Yes, it's very odd looking through an imperial science text book where every
formula has some bizarre constant like 537.4 in it!