POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Aug 2010 16:56:17
Message: <4c72e071$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> How well does it handle PDFs?  Particularly PDFs with pictures, graphs,
> equations and such?

It seems to do just fine. The native format is apparently something like
HTML inside (the same as "mobi" format). However, there's also a PDF
interpreter that will draw PDFs exactly as presented (as far as I can tell).
Of course, modulo color. It's grayscale.

Now, the PDF is going to either fit the screen, or be some multiple
(including 100%) of the PDF with you having to awkwardly cursor around. But
it'll display OK.  I scanned some travel book pages as a PDF and got maps
and stuff for when I was in Cologne last week.

If you want to send me a sample PDF to look at, I'm happy to do that.

I haven't tried any really complex PDFs, but I did do a couple of brochures
from the people I was meeting with, so it handles powerpoint-level
complexity just fine.

> Also how easy/hard is it to download a PDF from the
> web and transfer it to the Kindle?

Trivial. If you want the actual PDF, then plug in the Kindle as a USB drive
and copy it to K:\Documents.

If you want to convert a PDF into text (because, say, the PDF is mostly
text), then you email it to your Kindle's email address with "convert" in
the subject line, and amazon either charges you $0.15 to wirelessly zoop it
to your kindle, or amazon emails you a link to a .AMZ file which you can
click on and then copy into K:\Documents for free.  There's a limit of 25
files at once (which you can zip up or attach separately) *per request*, but
you can bop off several requests and then download all the results.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: